Since 1883, the marble figure has been displayed in the Louvre, while a plaster replica stands in the museum at the original location of the Sanctuary of the Great Gods on Samothrace.In the autumn of 1939, the Winged Victory was removed from her perch in anticipation of the outbreak of World War II. Artwork and objects were packed for removal to locations deemed more safe outside Paris for safekeeping.On the night of September 3, the statue descended the staircase on a wooden ramp which was constructed across the steps.
The Archaeological Museum of Samothrace continues to follow these originally established provenance and dates.
It was created not only to honor the goddess, Nike, but also to honor a sea battle.
It conveys a sense of action and triumph as well as portraying artful flowing drapery, as though the goddess were descending to alight upon the prow of a ship.
This was the first detailed examination of the individual pieces of the sculpture to date.
The restoration aimed to restore the marble to its original hue which had been tarnished by time.
Similar traits can be seen in the Laocoön group which is a reworked copy of a lost original that was likely close both in time and place of origin to Nike, but while Laocoon, vastly admired by Renaissance and classicist artists, has come to be seen The statue’s outstretched right wing is a symmetric plaster version of the original left one.